The US Olympic Marathon Trials are this weekend!! You know where I’ll be after my long run.
However, I’m very sad to say that the fabulous Deena Kastor, who I so wanted to make the team again, has pulled out due to a glute strain.
- that her reason for pulling out is a minor injury rather than a major one or illness for her or her family
- for her grace (and grit), attitude, and sense of humor – she was joking with someone on twitter about swapping glutes shortly after the announcement
- that she’s sharing what she’s learned and how she’s changed – saying “it’s a strain I would have taken the risk to push through 8 years ago. Now, I’m more conservative.”
- for her example in life and in running of positive attitude and perspective, re-focusing immediately on what she CAN do (cheer teammates) rather than what she can’t – and she’ll still be providing commentary for the regular LA Marathon on Sunday, Valentine’s Day, her 43rd birthday!
- for the inspiration and role model she is to me in running and life
- for all the joy she’s given us during her amazing career so far
Get well soon!
Still on the women’s Trials front, here’s some great words about Des Linden – rooting for her – from an article in the (sad face) last issue of Running Times…I can emulate her example of self-control as well as her dedication to hard work (and she loves books!):
And on the men’s side, of course, go Meb!
I’ve loved seeing the stories of athletes I’ve heard of – and of athletes completely new to me – and their individual journey to the Trials. I’d love to read a book with a brief story (1-2 pages) about every Qualifier – stats, brief bio, brief interview, maybe a photo.
On to the rest of this brief list of things I’ve been grateful for lately:
- My friend’s last radiation treatment (30, over 6 weeks) is completed, and he can now stay in his house with his wife instead of having to be hundreds of miles apart
- Heat in the house
- A dear friend is having a terrific set of interviews with potential employers – hoping she gets multiple offers, she deserves to get to choose!
- Caffeinated gum – but I’m thisclose to chewing a whole piece rather than a half…and we know where that leads!
- Last Thursday’s run
- When my late-start Boston-timed long run last weekend turned into a ridicuously-hard, leg-aching, GI-distress mess, grateful I pulled the plug instead of destroying myself trying to gut it out (no pun intended). And that I was on my treadmill and close to facilities. Sometimes DNF means “did nothing foolish” (ok, it’s “fatal” but let’s not be overly dramatic) Thinking I got a tummy bug DH had the day before, that explains at least part of the stomach issues and the exhaustion during and post-run. The aching legs I’m working on.
- That my recovery run the day after that long run was fine – not that I wasn’t sore at all, but it was fine, which was better than I was expecting
- I took a (long) shot at an interesting opportunity – at least I can say I tried – and I’m grateful for the support I got in thinking about it and the encouragement to go for it from a number of folks, near and far, generous with their kindness and time
- My dear friend K
- Small companies where you can reach someone when you’ve screwed up an order, who get back to you ridiculously fast and help you, making something important to you work out perfectly!
- My triathlete friend at work
- Waking up to emails from friends
- Walking to the local running store at lunch on a day in the office and chatting with the folks there (I’m getting to be a regular, they’re fun to talk to)
- Toothpaste and toothbrush and dental floss
- Hot water
- My chiro and the resources and ability to avail myself of his expertise and wisdom, humor, and spirit which he so generously shares
- More old issues of Marathon & Beyond, enjoying well-written articles with new info about athletes I know and introductions to “regular” people and races – I may just wind up buying them all
- Seeing new books coming out over the next months, treats to look forward to
- Speaking of looking forward to – in addition to the Trials and a long run, this weekend brings a special memory for me, a dear friend’s birthday, Valentine’s Day and a holiday….should be great!
What are you thankful for and what are you looking forward to?