It’s the end of January – how did that happen?! I know Snowzilla ate a week, but still. Inside 12 weeks to Boston.
A short list of things I’ve been thankful for lately, not all weather-related:
- We came through the blizzard just fine! We kept utilities the whole time and were safe and sound. I’m so very grateful for that, it could have gone so differently. No way to capture the wind, or the depth, really (2 feet for us) but the below was our view.
- The oddly peaceful silence of the blizzard (less the howling winds) – no cars, no planes, no one outside.
- Phone tethering so we could work and have internet when Comcast failed….during the pre-blizzard snow at the end of last week.
- Found a new dermatologist, got checked out and everything’s okay!
- Telework, how I love telework
- Caffeinated gum
- When friends and tweeps send good vibes for my runs and it helps
- Good runs
- Not-so-good runs – remind me to be grateful I can run at all, and even more grateful for the good runs
- Friends from far away checking on me during the storm
- My friend David’s treatments are going well!
- Veggie sushi topped with wasabi, PB2/coconut amino spread, and pickled ginger
- A talented friend decided she’d had enough at her job and is already acing big-deal interviews – she deserves a great gig with folks who appreciate her.
- When I make smart decisions about my training – usually those decisions involve not pushing on a run, or taking a XT day instead of a recovery run…..they’re hard, and the mental/psychological and biochemical side effects can be unpleasant, but hopefully will pay off long term in performance, health, and the ability to train consistently.
- Snow days!
- A decent night’s sleep
- Snowplow crews working 24/7
- Emergency crews – those folks were out taking care of others in rough conditions
- Nailing a hard run – especially when it’s both physically and mentally challenging
- Sport Beans – lined up on the treadmill, encouraging me to the next mile mark when I can have a minute or two of sugary goodness and distraction
- Being able to be proud of myself for doing something I didn’t feel like doing, but needed to do – makes me think of Mere’s post on “discipline, not motivation” (Mere’s coming to Manassas! I won’t be able to make it.)
- Yellow flowers DH bought weeks ago have held up for weeks, what an unexpected joy (and I’m grateful he is so thoughtful and got them in the first place)
- Our Christmas cactus started blooming in the kitchen window, so pretty
Christmas cactus blooming
- Being reminded by tweeps & others on the internet that people are good, kind, generous and want to help others
What’s on your Thankful Thursday list?