Weekend Update June 20-21, 2015

This post is part of Tara’s Weekend Update linkup! Visit her linkup page and check out how everyone spent their weekends.

One note to inform the below: DH has been sick since Tuesday night, off work Th & F (unusual). I was able to telework Friday in addition to my usual Thursday to take care of him while working, be around if he decided to go to the doc, etc. Friday afternoon, after much prodding by me and a trip to urgent care, we finally found out he has bacterial pneumonia. Two-ish days on multiple antibiotics has helped some – he can keep a little food down, other things improving ever so slightly – but he’s still got a wicked fever/chill cycle that pops up every few hours. This may send us to the hospital for IV antibiotics as you just don’t mess with this (contagious) nastiness.


Saturday – 16 miles. Did a “ladder”. Started at recovery pace, and every mile for the first 10, increased pace 0.1mph – also ran 0.5 of each of the first 10 at 2% incline to help me use my glutes and hams more and my quad less. The last 6, I decreased pace 0.1 mph/mile and kept the incline at 1%. I took a Caramel Macchiato GU at mile 4, a Strawberry Kiwi Roctane at mile 8, and a Salted Caramel GU at mile 12, with water. I used Citrus SOS Rehydrate during the run in addition to my water, taking swigs at mile 2, 6, 10, 14, 15. I had some left, which I finished on the porch later. I am really starting to think the drink is helping me with electrolytes and recovery if not performance – this despite me drinking SmartWater which is supposed to have electrolytes, and taking 2 Endurolytes 2x/day every day. I should be fine on electrolytes but maybe I need more than I think based on other conditions and absorption quirks of my system.

Listened to the latest ep of Marathon Talk, part 2 of an interview with Irish running “legend” Sonia O’Sullivan as well as (of course) more discussion of the recent doping allegations and the challenges our sport faces in cleaning itself up and trying to move forward. Some good perspective from Martin & Tom, along with a really good Boy on the Run which isn’t usually my favorite (I like Tony’s Trials). BoTR discussed that the doping stuff doesn’t really change running for most of us – WE run, we just may not watch running and may care less about the professionals and “their” competitions, focusing on our own goals and paths. One of the beautiful things about running is that we don’t have to think about what anyone else is doing if we don’t want to.

I also listened to the newest ep of Runners Connect with guest Dr. Stan Beecham, whose book Elite Minds I’ve been meaning to read ever since hearing him on Runner Academy in 2013. I remember it vividly as I was pool running due to an injury at the time I heard the ep. I think I even have a sample on my Kindle. (or maybe I did read it and it’s time to re-read, since I don’t remember!)

After, took 3 SportLegs and 1/2 a serving of Ultragen (1 scoop). I decided it was important to me to start refueling more quickly post run, before I got into my exercises, to help my recovery. Did my Ohnos and exercises from the gait lab after the run as well as calf stretches. Did Myrtl stretches. Stretching seems to annoy my quad, rolling and trigger point help it.

Sunday – 7.5 miles, recovery pace. Better than I’d have expected given how much I was on my feet yesterday (10 hours from getting up until sitting down except for time in the car to/from stores) and that I got less than 5 hours of broken sleep last night thanks mostly to the wicked storms from Bill passing through (causing me to be online to check our risk) and stress re DH’s situation – not just the current, but what happens next (hospital?) as well as how far behind I/we are getting on the move stuff. I think that having the Ultragen and oatmeal yesterday helped, as did the Epsom salt bath.

Listened to one of the Western States 100 preview eps of UltraRunnerPodcast with two first-time Western States runners: Caroline Boller (marathon fastie, Master, <2 years in ultrarunning) and filmmaker/ultrarunner Billy Yang, of Western Time fame (great movie, go watch it, free). I look forward to following them and the rest of the folks I’m interested in (Pam Smith, Meghan Arbogast, Sally McRae, Mike Wardian, Ian Sharman, and Magda Boulet, among others – look at the list, so many amazing runners, and so many who are also fast marathoners) at the “big dance” in ultrarunning via UltrasportsLive and IRunFar next weekend! USL is even covering the medical seminar on Thursday (ooh, dangerous as I’m teleworking) and the runner’s meeting on Friday – how cool! (remember all times shown are Pacific) USL also has a course preview video that I remember being pretty good. During the week, probably Thursday or maybe Saturday (depending on the length of Marathon Talk next week), I plan to listen to Trail Runner Nation‘s episode with Craig Thornley, the RD of Western States, and Andy Jones-Wilkins, a 10-time silver buckle (sub 24hr) finisher who’s now volunteering at the race.

After, did my Ohnos, calf stretches, UVas and Myrtl stretches.


Saturday – After my run and my exercises, I fell down the internet rabbit hole and waited a long time to eat. (Well, some of the time post-run was discussing medical stuff with DH, getting him new snacks and figuring out what to get from the store.) I felt my energy seriously flag and even asked  on twitter deciding what to eat! Finally, about 2.5 hours after my run, I cooked up a carb & protein snack of:

  • 1/4 Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats (2nd time this week I’ve had these after a few years away)
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened chocolate almond milk
  • 2T chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter with cocoa)
  • 1 scoop Hammer Plain whey
  • 1 packet of NuNaturals stevia (best brand I’ve found, I buy it off iherb.com)

Thursday post-run I’d had GF oats (made overnight oats, so ratio of liquid to oats is 1:1 not 2:1) with plain cashew milk and whey, and then I added the choc PB2 before I ate it. I think I prefer the cold. Heating the whey turned it into more of a “fluff” like my applesauce fluffs – it was okay, but didn’t feel as dense. Glad I was in the kitchen and happened to look at the microwave, as the dish started overflowing after 90 seconds! It was supposed to cook 3-5 minutes and then sit for 2 minutes (if I’d used 1/2 c oats, which is a full serving, forgot to account for that) – maybe the whey affected it as it does the applesauce. Also, the whey, when cooked, is very hard to get off dishes, so soaking is required. But overnight oats require that I know/plan my breakfast ahead of time, which I don’t always do before my long runs. During my long runs I spend a LOT of time (some days) thinking about what I could eat afterward and for the rest of the day – do I want gluten-free toast? A sweet potato with nut butter and honey? (been on the “add honey” kick lately) And what will I eat for my afternoon snack and for dinner? Tell me I’m not the only one who spends time thinking about that….also, sometimes food cravings or ideas just come to me during the run, and if they do, I try to honor them if possible.

Saturday was mostly errands for DH, then dinner of leftover Chinese for me. Watching the dangerous weather occupied me and kept me online and awake later than usual, which I think contributed to my poor sleep. Did manage to snack and read a little but was unable to get to sleep till after midnight.

Sunday – After my run, I went upstairs and took requests from DH for more ice, Gatorade, popsicles, etc. Got him settled, then came down and did my exercises while roasting a kabocha (I only had one left).

For breakfast, had a Nature’s Path gluten-free waffle with honey (thought about it during run – got the waffles yesterday in case they’d appeal to DH, but he didn’t want anything warm). Then I had 2 small JSPs with walnut butter, almond butter, Nuttzo and honey. I’m on a honey kick lately. Spent a little time online before doing food prep.

Then I headed upstairs to muck out DH’s area of bottles to be washed, trash to be disposed of, etc. Took the trash out, got Chinese and pad Thai for dinner for me and DH (hoping he’ll eat it cold). Did some more stuff around the house – making no progress on the move whatsoever – prepping as if I’m going to work and thinking what needs to change if we go to the hospital tomorrow.

Then, off to my massage, which felt selfish, but have to keep the long-term in mind.

After massage, headed directly to the new house to do some measuring and picture-taking. Due to the current tenant’s schedule, this was the only time we’d get. Unfortunately, because of DH’s illness, I had to do it solo, so it took a bit longer (over an hour). Probably worth it as what I remembered, even with pics, wasn’t right in several cases: there’s much more to paint than I thought, the basement (treadmill room) is smaller than I thought (hoping the couch & two overstuffed chairs can go in living room) and the master closet could be an office if it wasn’t in the basement and windowless….I think that would just be depressing. I need daylight. There are “lips” in the floor between several rooms that we’ll have to watch out for. The freezer is way too small (and no ice maker, though the tenant told me one can now buy standalone ice makers, who knew?). I’m sure some of what I’m seeing is just due to the fact I haven’t fully accepted that the move is happening, whether I like it or not. (or not) Working to find the positive, but right now I think I’m just too tired and fried from all that’s going on.

Move prep got back-burnered this past week/weekend due to busy work, fatigue, DH being ill. Starting to feel the pressure build. Worst case we move the mess to the new place and deal with it there. We don’t have to downsize for this move but it’s starting to feel way more chaotic and late, timeline-wise, than I’d like. I need to make a to-do list and execute, whether or not DH is able to help or help decide.

Got home and got DH set up with dinner and ate dinner myself. 3rd night in a row for Chinese steamed chicken and veg for me – even I’m a little sick of it, but it requires nothing more than pickup and a credit card. Started some laundry. Really didn’t feel like watching what I picked so quit halfway through (an ep of Lie to Me, not in the mood for psychopath serial killers….last night was 2 eps of Bones, and one was about that). Trying not to watch anything DH might want to watch but we’re going to be hard pressed to get it through it all before we have to give back the DVR.

Can’t believe tomorrow’s Monday. This was a “lost weekend” with the exception of my runs, which I am very grateful for, and my massage. This week promises more of the same.

Monday, telework, maybe a trip to the hospital if DH’s fever and chills don’t go away. Tuesday telework and chiro with a few errands. Wednesday, an office day, Th telework.

Friday I’ll be off work, having my annual breast MRI (that’s in the summer, mammograms are in Dec) first thing in the morning.  Unfortunately, the wonderful tech I’ve relied on to avoid having to be medicated has left, so I’ve got a bit of nerves. I don’t like the meds and if I have to take them, DH has to drive me and stay with me, so it’s much more of a hassle. I think I can still get the more open machine (relative when you’re face down) and will be very clear with the tech that I need them to talk to me frequently. Not sure if I’ll listen to their headphones – last time it was some station I didn’t like. So good thoughts will be appreciated during the test and for the results! I have a follow-up with the nurse practitioner the week after the July 4th holiday.

Hope you had a great weekend! 

My weekly reminder to myself: Think  “relentlessly positive” (Marathon Talk) and be “pathologically optimistic” (Sarah). Take positive actions – do good, seek and spread joy. To quote Deena: “The practice of optimism has been the greatest source of energy to compliment my hard training. Optimism is more than believing in your training program, it is about choosing positive words and perspectives in every aspect of your life.”

And a new Deena quote, via Greg McMillan: “If you stay in your comfort zone, you’re not going to do anything special.”