Welcome to the Friday Five Linkup, hosted by my blog buds/local tweeps
Cynthia at You Signed Up for What?!,
Courtney at EatPrayRunDC and
Mar at Mar on the Run.
Make sure to stop by their blogs for their picks and hop along to the other bloggers in the linkup, featured at the bottom of their pages!
Today’s topic is Favorite Fall Foods.
I doubt anyone who’s read this blog or my tweets will be surprised by the list…
- Kabocha – I buy as many of them at a time as I can find, since they keep so well and I can eat so much!
- Pumpkin anything – even pumpkin puree out of the can (sometimes spread on bread w/ jam, sometimes mixed with protein powder for a fluff, sometimes straight). Of course, Pumpkin Spice Arctic Zero, which didn’t really have any pumpkin in it, and which apparently they’ve stopped making (boo! I think they didn’t sell it well enough). Here’s a Triathlete mag post on ways to use canned pumpkin (I mixed it in with store-bought regular or lemon hummus when I used to eat that, quite good, and used in brownie/cake mix as well, back in the day.)
- Sweet potatoes – some varieties like the orange Jewel and Garnet, as well as the Japanese sweet potato are available year round (Hannah seems to come and go) but so far fall is the only time to get my purple purples! (Stokes purple sweet potatoes)
- Root veggies – beets (fresh and roasted by me, packaged, or canned – easiest, like the below), sometimes parsnips…I don’t like turnips as much and haven’t tried rutabaga. I think my fave Brussels sprouts count.
- Fall fruit: apples – dried or in applesauce or in some way cooked like my cider reduction attempt, pears, and Asian pears
What are some of your fall favorites? Got any good recipes to share? Have a great weekend, especially if you’re racing!