Welcome to the Friday Five Linkup, hosted by my blog buds/local tweeps
Cynthia at You Signed Up for What?!,
Courtney at EatPrayRunDC and
Mar at Mar on the Run.
Make sure to stop by their blogs for their picks and hop along to the other bloggers in the linkup, featured at the bottom of their pages!
This week’s theme is: My 5 Favorite Fall Activities!
I’m not sure I have “activities” per se…but I love fall – my favorite season – and here are five of the things I love to do in the fall.
- Walk and look at the trees, alone or with DH, by the water, in the neighborhood, in a forest preserve.
- Drive the GW Parkway or some other scenic road and look at the leaves.
- Get my one pint of apple cider at the Farmers Market for my one or two servings of cider a year. I usually drink a small amount, hot or cold, and in past years I’ve boiled it down and made sort of a cider syrup topping. I’ve also cooked kale or other things IN apple cider.
- Get decorative pumpkins, gourds and flowers in seasonal colors – orange, burnt orange, yellow – and decorate the front steps of the house.
- Decorate inside and out for Halloween! (I prefer Dia de los Muertos in concept, and sometimes we decorate for both. DH loves Halloween.) I enjoy seeing the little kids in the neighborhood trick or treating – some of them are just adorable with very clever costumes.
- BONUS fave – I make pumpkin dishes – like my low-fat pumpkin no-pie….egg whites instead of eggs, nonfat evaporated milk (have to make this non-dairy now), stevia and a little brown sugar (or splenda/sugar blend) and some sort of binder starch (was cornstarch, now would try coconut flour or arrowroot). I use the basic Libby’s can recipe – and the amazing Penzey’s Pumpkin Pie Spice – and bake the filling in a pyrex dish (use Pam or similar), letting it bake into sort of a custard or pie filing. It can be eaten hot or cold, as a side dish, snack, breakfast or dessert! It’s also good mixed into oatmeal or yogurt if you eat such things. By the way, Penzey’s is a great source for spices, either mail order or in store – I love their Vietnamese Cinnamon and Double Strength Vanilla extract, but haven’t gotten anything from them that wasn’t high quality.
Here are some lovely photos of fall leaves (already!) from around the world, from the Washington Post’s Capital Weather Gang.
What are five of your favorite activities in the fall?
- YogaVibes is offering a special deal through the end of September, $150 for a full year of 24×7 online access to many teachers and classes. I always rec Sage Rountree‘s Yoga for Athletes…..but there are other teachers and classes as well!